Yes, that’s true. In 2016, 99designs required a new logo and turned to their own crowdsource designers. They wanted to rebrand with a more sophisticated and modern look for their website and logo.
I love companies that use their products to show us their confidence in their business model and quality. I too used 99designs to get a great logo for my business –read my review of 99designs logo contests
They wrote their logo design brief and included the following information:
- Main wordmark and shortened logomark. This means that they wanted to versions of the logo, one with the complete company name and the other with a short iconic abbreviation.
- Company description and industry – art and design
- Target audience, which is business owners and designers
- Brand personality including energetic, unique, authentic and friendly.
- Color preferences, which included one color (grey) on a white background with no gradients or shades.
- Style attributes more luxurious and less economical
99designs requested that the logo contest designers create logos that were simple and timeless – not be trendy or fashionable. International acceptance of design to be culturally sensitive was paramount.
After launching their contests, they received over 4000 logo design entries from 556 designers across the globe. Ultimately the one winning designer was from Indonesia, Meisal Subkhan who the $600 prize – plus the bragging rights of being the best amongst hundreds of great graphic designers.
Designer Winner in 99designs Logo Contest
Established in 2008 99designs has grown to be the world’s largest design marketplace boasting 1,000,000 designers across the globe ready to service business design needs. Created by graphic designers for graphic designers, they took their friendly competition for design work and built this business. To date, 99 designs have paid out more than $150 million to designers around the world at a rate of $4.0 million a month. Headquarters remain located in United States (Oakland, California) with additional operations in Germany, Japan, Australia, and Brazil.
I launched a logo design contest at 99designs.com and got over 100 great logo design ideas!
Read the latest blog posts on the homepage
Check out my guide on how to start your business right with tons of useful tips I learned by successfully starting, building, and selling multiple companies.