Entrepreneurs, if you decide to name our business any other name than your own personal legal name, the name of your legal entity (LLC or INC corporation) then you must register your chosen business name with the correct government office in order to make your business legal.
This business registration is called “Doing Business As”, or DBA. It means that you John Smith are “doing business as” Hamptons Wine Shop. You will hear a DBA name called other terms such as fictitious business name, assumed name, or trade name. All of these mean that you have filed the paperwork for your DBA business license and are using that name for your company dealings.
I like how simple LegalZoom makes the process by combining the services of a DBA Name Search, which must be done before filing your DBA application, into one low-cost service. I don’t know about you, but anytime I have to deal with government paperwork I avoid it like the plague. What a relief to have a proven company that will do quickly at an affordable rate starting at only $99.
Need help calculating your startup costs?
Learn how to correctly estimate your startup budget and capital needs – including costs list by industry in my guide here
Why You Need a DBA – Doing Business As Filing
- Legally Required – The US government demands that if you are using any other name than your full personal name you must file for a DBA – doing business as – license to operate a business in your state
- Bank Account Must – Most banks will require your DBA certificate in order to open a business bank account.
- Expansion Possibilities – When you get a DBA Doing Business As, you can grow your business beyond your own personal name into a larger brand and company.
To File Your DBA – Form Questions
All you have to do is take 15 minutes to complete a simple questionnaire consisting of easy to answer questions such as:
- What would you like to name your business?
- Are you registering a business name for the first time?
- In what state do you want to do business? If you will sell in multiple states, pick your home state.
- What type of business is yours – Individual Sole Proprietorship, Limited Liability Company LLC, Corporation or Partnership?
- What is your business address? Street address required. This can be your home address
Legalzoom Competitors Compared Side by Side
Legalzoom vs Incfile Review and Comparision of Legal Services
LegalZoom vs LegalShield – Review of Legal Shield services for legal issues
Legalzoom vs Nolo.com – Self Service, DIY Legal Forms vs Legal Services Online
LegalZoom vs Rocket Lawyer – Comparisons of Online Legal Services
Legalzoom vs Swyft Filings – Compared online legal services for small business
Legalzoom vs Bizfilings – Side by Side comparison and review
Legalzoom vs MyCorporation legal services for incorporation and LLC business formation services