If you want to legally change your name through the court, I recommend the legal services of LegalZoom. They will complete all required name change documents specific to your state after you just take 15 minutes to complete the easy online questionnaire. Continue reading to learn about the name change process, pricing name change packages, pros, and cons.
The process of legally changing your name, whether due to marriage, divorce or preference is done by Legalzoom in 6 steps:
- Complete the simple, easy to understand name change questionnaire online
- Legalzoom creates the legal documents for your specific state and county within 2 business days
- Sign the documents that you receive, complete with the instructions on how to file them in your state. ( PS I like how Legalzoom saves me money by letting me do this simple step of mailing the signed documents)
- Receive your hearing date from the court judge in your local area. This is the date that the judge will review your application.
- Publish your name change, if your state requires it. No worries, Legalzoom will guide you every step of the way and advise you on which newspapers you need to publish notice. Also, they will counsel you on allowing enough time for your notice to be published in the newspaper of record 4 weeks prior to your hearing date. (PS Another reason I like Legalzoom they remind me of deadlines)
- Court grants your Name Change. Dependent upon your local court, the whole process takes from 30-90 days.
- Inexpensive for $139 you get the correct forms for your state and county, completed and delivered to you ready for filing
- Expert advice from the legal professionals at Legalzoom whom have helped millions of people change their name
- Step by Step guidance through the process from hearing date to notice publication
- Fees are charged. Yes, if you like paperwork, you can do your own name change. Start by going to your state’s website to get the correct forms.
When your Name Change is granted by the court you then need to follow the checklist, provided by Legalzoom, and send your court order of your legal name change, to notify them of your new name such as:
- Social Security Card, get a new card, at the Social Security Administration
- Drivers License, DMV Department of Motor Vehicles
- Bank Accounts
- Credit Cards
- Leases and Mortgages
- Car Titles
- Voter Registration
- Medical Offices
- Schools and Education Institutions
- Post Office boxes
Visit the home page for the latest headlines and newest blog posts