If you want to legally change your name through the court, I recommend the legal services of LegalZoom. They will complete all required name change documents specific to your state after you just take 15 minutes to complete the easy online questionnaire. Continue reading to learn about the name change process, pricing name change packages, pros, and cons.
Full review of LegalZoom and use our exclusive promo code – BEST4B19 to Save 10%
The process of legally changing your name, whether due to marriage, divorce or preference is done by Legal zoom in 6 steps:
- Complete the simple, easy to understand name change questionnaire online
- LegalZoom creates the legal documents for your specific state and county within 2 business days
- Sign the documents that you receive, complete with the instructions on how to file them in your state. ( PS I like how Legal zoom saves me money by letting me do this simple step of mailing the signed documents)
- Receive your hearing date from the court judge in your local area. This is the date that the judge will review your application.
- Publish your name change, if your state requires it. No worries, Legal zoom will guide you every step of the way and advise you on which newspapers you need to publish notice. Also, they will counsel you on allowing enough time for your notice to be published in the newspaper of record 4 weeks prior to your hearing date. (PS Another reason I like Legalzoom they remind me of deadlines)
- Court grants your Name Change. Dependent upon your local court, the whole process takes from 30-90 days.
- Inexpensive for $139 you get the correct forms for your state and county, completed and delivered to you ready for filing
- Expert advice from the legal professionals at Legalzoom who have helped millions of people change their name
- Step by Step guidance through the process from hearing date to notice publication
- Fees are charged. Yes, if you like paperwork, you can do your own name change. Start by going to your state’s website to get the correct forms.
When your Name Change is granted by the court you then need to follow the checklist, provided by LegalZoom, and send the court order of your legal name change, to notify them of your new name such as:
- Social Security Card, get a new card, at the Social Security Administration
- Drivers License, DMV Department of Motor Vehicles
- Bank Accounts
- Credit Cards
- Leases and Mortgages
- Car Titles
- Voter Registration
- Medical Offices
- Schools and Education Institutions
- Post Office boxes
Full review of LegalZoom and promo codes 2019 – BEST4B19 Save 10%
If you need services for your business name change or registration, read the list of Legalzoom alternatives for business formation filing services for LLC, INC, DBA and nonprofits.
Visit the home page for the latest headlines and newest blog posts
Compare legal services to save money. Read these reviews
Legalzoom Competitors Compared Side by Side
Legalzoom vs Incfile Review and Comparision of Legal Services
LegalZoom vs LegalShield – Review of Legal Shield services for legal issues
Legalzoom vs Nolo.com – Self Service, DIY Legal Forms vs Legal Services Online
LegalZoom vs Rocket Lawyer – Comparisons of Online Legal Services
Legalzoom vs Swyft Filings – Compared online legal services for small business
Legalzoom vs Bizfilings – Side by Side comparison and review
Legalzoom vs MyCorporation legal services for incorporation and LLC business formation services