Some of my most successful companies were in the beauty niche so I have a special fondness for these types of businesses.
It is a huge industry at over $265 billion in 2017 and continuing to grow as our population ages and demands anti-aging products, men’s usage increases and technology creates more possibilities of improving our looks with new products and services.
Check out these great ideas for beauty businesses. Get more new business startup ideas by using our Business Idea Generator
21 Best Beauty Business Ideas for Entrepreneurs
- Trade Show Exhibitions – If you are a good networker with strong organizational skills you could stage a beauty trade show. It could be B2B or B2C, or both! Beauty industry professionals are always looking for opportunities to showcase their products and your expo could be the perfect venue.
- Beauty Blogger – a great low-cost way to enter the beauty business. Using free or low-cost tools such as WordPress websites and Youtube channels you can build a following and recommend products and receive sales commissions on purchases.
- Vlogger on Beauty – an offshoot of the beauty blogger business this focuses on video content, unlike bloggers who write text posts of information and also create some videos. These videos can be friendly and simple or highly polished and professional.
- Podcaster on Beauty Topics – this is the digital equivalent of chatting with your friends about your favorite beauty products. Check out these popular beauty podcasts to see if this business idea interests you.
- Foot massage mobile – this is a great way to be an independent business owner by traveling to your customer’s locations at home or business and offering mobile foot massage services. There are very low startup cost and minimal supply costs.
- Image consultant – this business helps people look and feel their best by advising them on the best makeup, clothing, and colors for them. Many business professionals hire image consultants to help them look and act their best for career advancement.
- Sell cosmetics online – if you love beauty products and are knowledgeable about the best of them. You could start your own e-commerce online store selling cosmetic products, accessories, and advice on your website.
- Cosmetic sales – many a beauty mogul started at home selling lipsticks to her friends. Today there are many choices for home-based cosmetic sales companies. Great money making opportunity for work at home moms who love beauty and makeup.
- Hair salon – an evergreen business that will always be in demand is a hair salon. While set up requires substantial capital investment for equipment and special salon furniture, the long-term sustainability and profitability are high. One way to enter this marketplace is through purchasing a franchise which will offer a complete business plan package and operating instructions for success.
- Natural skin care products – with an increasing awareness of the dangers of toxic chemicals in personal products the demand for organic, natural skincare products is growing dramatically. Capitalize on this trend by creating your own line of skin care products or subcontract your products to an established asthmatic manufacturing plant. Strong branding is vital for success. You can retail your line directly to the consumer online, or sell it to other retailers or e-commerce sites for resale.
- Wigs and hair extensions – today’s wigs are so well made and natural looking that they are a hot fashion trend now. You see celebrities, such as Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, and Rihanna, wearing wigs and hairpieces all the time and looking great.
- Herbalist – the herbal health and beauty industry has many facets including growing and selling herbs, instructing people on how to use herbs, formulating herbal remedies and teaching others about herbs benefits. This is a growing field due to the shift away from traditional chemical-based beauty products.
- Manicures and pedicures salon – in addition to opening a retail location to give professional manicures and pedicures, this can be a mobile and part-time business opportunity. You will need certain equipment and supplies to launch your company, in addition to training on today’s new nail technology.
- Tanning salon – this is one of the most profitable business ideas on this list because the supply cost is so low and the market rate for services is high. The downside is that you will need to make substantial capital investments in tanning bed equipment and effective marketing strategies to launch your company.
- Makeup artist – if you have a natural talent or are professionally trained on how to apply makeup then this is an excellent business for you. Your services will be sought by photographers, models, actresses, brides, and businesswomen.
- Tattoo parlors – if you are a tattoo artist in love creating body art a tattoo parlor business could be the perfect venture for you. Today’s tattoo parlors cater to customers from teenagers to granddad’s. Gone are the days of outlaw tattoo parlors. Having a tattoo is chic and fashionable again.
- Anti Aging Clinics – many dermatologists and beauty salons have added these departments to their offices because there is such a strong customer demand. These clinics sell services and products including creams, serums and supplements.
- Body piercing – some tattoo parlors also offer body piercings. However, you can have a business solely focused on body piercing. Startup costs are usually a few thousand and you can be operated from home or as a mobile business on a part-time schedule.
- Stretch mark removal – as Americans millions of baby boomers age, but still want to feel and look young, they want to purchase Stretch mark removal services. This is a great home-based or mobile service. You could also rent space in the established beauty salon spa or retail boutique.
- Salon Day Spa – these type of businesses focus on offering beauty services such as facials, massage, aromatherapy and skin care consultations. Some day spas offer additional hair and makeup services, including brow shaping and eyelash extensions.
- Hair removal services – today, both men and women desire hair removal services of which you can create a part-time home-based or mobile business to meet the demand.