If you haven’t heard of SCADA systems before, then here is the information you need to know. SCADA stands for Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition. SCADA is a system software that has a high level of convenience because it enables the automation of most industrial processes. SCADA includes hardware elements that allow industrial organizations to:
- Record events into a log file
- Monitor, gather, and process real-time data
- Directly interact with devices such as valves, pumps, sensors, and motors, and move through human-machine interface (HMI) software
- Control industrial processes locally or at remote locations
SCADA systems are vital for industrial organizations because they help to maintain efficiency, communicate system issues, and process data for smarter decisions. For example, the SCADA system notifies an operator that a batch of products is showing a high incidence of errors. The operator pauses the operation and views the SCADA system data via an HMI in order to determine the cause of the issue. The SCADA system’s ability to notify the operator of an issue gives them the ability to resolve it and to prevent further loss of the product. Click here for products for your SCADA system.
One of the main principles of SCADA is to incorporate new capabilities of an existing system into smaller, more manageable bites. SCADA is especially good for industries such as:
- Manufacturing: SCADA helps to regulate industrial automation and robots. They monitor process and quality control in order to ensure good output.
- Buildings, facilities, and environments: SCADA is used by facility managers to control devices such as refrigeration units, entry systems, HVAC, and lighting.
- Electric power generation, transmission, and distribution: There are two key elements that can be detected using SCADA systems; these are line voltage and current flow. They can also take sections of the power grid online or offline.
- Water and sewage: SCADA can be used to monitor and regulate water flow. They can also be used to track pipe pressure and reservoir levels.
- Mass transit: Transit authorities use SCADA to regulate electricity to trams, subways, and trolleybuses. They can also track and locate trains and buses.
- Traffic signals: SCADA software regulates traffic lights, detects out-of-order signals, and controls traffic overflow.
Here are some more reasons why you should use SCADA systems for your business.
- Productivity is Boosted
SCADA packages help in automating several workers, which means that your employees don’t have to handle them manually. When you choose to switch to SCADA software, your employees will be able to complete their work more quickly and efficiently. Not only that, but SCADA systems can help you to analyze the processes that you always handle in your workplace. This means that you will be able to change these processes to ensure that important tasks are carried out more effectively.
- Helps Save Money
To have your SCADA system implemented may be costly to begin with, but you will save money in the long run. It will also help to boost safety in your workplace, which also means that you will not spend money on medical bills. In addition, the production levels of your business will increase. Over time, you will get more done within a shorter period of time and therefore, you will end up saving money. SCADA costs to begin with, but it can help many companies to boost their financial state.
- Boosts Workplace Safety
In most industries, accidents happen every single day. By upgrading your SCADA system, you can help to guarantee the safety of your workers. By having a SCADA system in place, you will also have a predefined process that will be followed. It will also reduce the chance of anything going wrong.
- Delegates Work Efficiently
It is difficult to determine the strengths and weaknesses of employees. There are many challenges that you will need to consider, but having a SCADA system in place will help you to overcome these challenges. This way, you will be able to ensure that tasks are delegated efficiently, which will enable you to map out the human resources that are currently available and all the tasks that need to be done. Therefore, you can optimize all your business processes so that your employees are content, and their work remains great.
- Helps You Save Time
For every business out there, time equals money. Through the automation of most processes, SCADA systems can help you to save a large amount of time and energy. This means that your business and your employees can do more in a shorter amount of time. The time and the money that you will save can be used for putting effort into more important tasks.